Wednesday, March 22, 2023

Snowy Village...A Winter Tablescape in Cheerful Robin's Egg Blue


If I'm anything these days, it's consistent. Consistently inconsistent! But I'm working on it. I hope to be much more regular in my blogging this Spring. We'll see! There's no time like the present, so let's get started!

Today I'm sharing the tablescape from a brunch I had in January for my mother/daughter group. We've all been friends for going on ten years, and I look forward to hosting them at my home several times a year. I decided to wait until after the new year to have our holiday get together. Everyone has such a busy schedule. It worked out beautifully, and it even seemed to stretch out the holiday season!


These beautiful blue dishes actually belong to my mother. She bought them several years ago from a lady who was moving out of her home into an assisted living facility. They are somewhat reminiscent of a set my grandmother had when my mother was growing up. I used them to decorate her holiday table years ago and had wanted to use them ever since. This winter brunch was the perfect time! 


The blue set is "Castleton Turquoise" by Castleton China. It has a simple platinum band around it. I thought it played nicely against the more ornate band on the dinner plate from my wedding china. My pattern is "Palatial Platinum" by Mikasa. There are only eight place settings of Mama's blue pattern, and I had twelve coming for lunch. I decided to use six place settings from each pattern and then mix the pieces so each table would have pieces from each set. This stack was in the kitchen at the girls' table. It began with the bone dinner plate and cup and saucer set and had the turquoise blue salad plate on top.


Once I decided to mix and match, I committed and went all out! The tea cups match the two china patterns. The water goblets in the dining room (where the mothers always sit) is "Jamestown Platinum" by Mikasa, also one of my wedding patterns. The juice glass is "Parklane" by Mikasa. Since I was mixing patterns, I decided to mix metals, as well. While both sets of china have platinum trim, I went with my gold flatware. It's called "Golden American Chippendale" by FB Rogers. It was a gift to myself several years ago. You'll see why I added the gold in just a minute.


Here's a view of the different drinkware patterns. I just think it made for such an interesting table!


In the background you'll see the bottle brush trees I got at Hobby Lobby this year. They came in a set of four - a blue-green, silver, gold, and brassy gold. I got them on clearance for $5 a set (four trees). I got four sets basically for the price of one! The gold and brass trees are why I decided to pull in the gold flatware. I think everything needs at least one other component on the table to "talk to".


There's also a touch of gold on the village pieces. I scattered silver and gold tiny balls down the table. I found these on clearance for 80% off at Hobby Lobby. They were with the Christmas crafts. I love a good table scatter!


I also found the off white wool snowflakes 80% off at Hobby Lobby. I have been doing a lot of wool applique lately, and I knew I could use them for that as well. They were perfect for adding another texture to the table. I mixed silver and gold votive holders, too.


I have MORE than gotten my money's worth on these beautiful votive candle holders. I picked them up at Dollar Tree close to ten years ago.


I felt that the blue and white china and crystal drinkware would have blended in too much to an all white tablecloth, so I added this woven runner. It also looked great with the gold accents, and it, along with the "wood" chargers from Dollar Tree, helped to keep it elegant, but make it less formal. This plate stack was in the dining room on the mom's table. It has the blue dinner plate and cup and saucer set with my salad plates.


If you look closely at the two story building on the left, you'll notice that I put some inexpensive fairy lights inside the buildings to add a little extra twinkle! This was the girls table in the kitchen. The water glasses on this table are more of a balloon bottom shape. They're called "Stephanie" and are also by Mikasa.


Here's an aerial view. I found the robin's egg blue placemats at Big Lots probably 15 years ago. I had done a Breakfast at Tiffany's tablescape. They have little mother-of-pearl square sequins along the edge. They're so pretty!


I absolutely loved this tablescape! It was such a lovely way to wrap up the holiday season and embrace winter. I'll be posting the menu soon, as well as a tutorial on how I did the Christmas Village. Check back soon! 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

SITE DESIGNED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS