Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Homemade French Onion Dip

Yesterday I shared my recipe for Gerald's Favorite Chicken Salad. Today, I'm giving you the recipe for the homemade French onion dip I made to go with it. This is not the reconstituted onion soup dip recipe we all knew (and yes, loved) many years ago. This is made with - wait for it - REAL onions. And man, is it good. I could eat it with a spoon. OK - I did eat it with a spoon. Quality control...


Homemade French Onion Dip

2 tbsp EVOO
1 1/2 cups sliced onions (one XL or two L)
1/4 tsp kosher salt
1 1/2 c light sour cream
3/4 c light mayo
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp kosher salt

Peel the onion(s) and cut in half from pole to pole. Slice off ends and cut from end to end (lengthwise, not across). If you cut them across the grain, they will dissolve as they cook. Heat large skillet over medium heat. Add oil, onions and salt and cook until caramelized, stirring frequently.


Be sure to coat the onions well with the oil.


This is after about 10 minutes. Be sure to adjust heat if necessary so they don't burn.


After 20 minutes, they are getting some color and a few even have a little crispness to them. This is good. Just don't let them burn!


After about 30 minutes, they are very soft and caramelized. Perfect! Remove from heat and allow them to cool.


Add seasonings, sour cream and mayo. Mix well.


You will notice (I hope!) that I used light mayo and sour cream. I made this change a long time ago, and I think that if you buy quality brands, you won't miss the difference. At least when it's mixed in a recipe. I want real sour cream on my baked potato (but light is fine for twice baked) and real Hellman's on my sandwich. But in both those cases, you're using less, so it's probably OK. When something calls for a cup or cup and a half, think about light...

This makes a lot of dip. I keep the take out containers from egg drop soup and use them for freezing chicken broth and soup. This recipe filled one and a half of those containers. 

I made this the day before so it would have time for the flavors to meld and marry. Store in the fridge and stir well before serving. It will last about three or four days in the refrigerator.

I served this dip with Walmart's brand of Ruffle potato chips. They are really, really, good! Tomorrow I'll finish things up with the recipe for the chocolate chip pecan bars. See you then!



I'm so glad you stopped by my neck of the woods!
Please take a moment to sign up to receive new posts by email.

I wouldn't want you to miss one crazy thing...

1 comment:

  1. I have been waiting for this recipe, Missy! This was the absolute BEST French onion dip I've ever eaten! The caramelized onions really make the difference. Thank you for sharing your recipe. ;)
    ~Alinda

    ReplyDelete

SITE DESIGNED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS