Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Thai Cucumber Salad


Last week I shared my recipe for Satay Chicken Noodle Salad. Today I'm giving you the recipe for my Asian-inspired side dish, Thai Cumber Salad. They serve this as a condiment with Thai toast and chicken patties at my favorite restaurant, Lek's Taste of Thailand. I always ask for extra! It's so light and fresh, and I love the crunch of the cucumbers.


Begin by preparing your cucumbers. I doubled this recipe. I took four seedless English cucumbers and washed them well with soap and water. Cucumbers are usually treated with a wax to keep them fresh longer. Be sure to get this off before eating...


I cut off the ends and then cut them lengthwise.


Even though they're technically "seedless", they have a pulp and tiny seeds in the middle which hold a lot of water. I used a small teaspoon to scoop out the middle.


Next, I cut the halves in half. Then I sliced them into half-inch quarters.


I placed the cucumbers in a colandar and sprinkled them with one teaspoon of salt. Stir well. I let them sit and drain for about 30 minutes. Nearly a cup of water came off them. Rinse really well and pat dry.


Meanwhile, I pulled out a mason jar (my favorite way to make a dressing) and mixed 1/3 cup of rice wine vinegar, two tablespoons brown sugar, 1 tablespoon soy sauce and a pinch of red pepper flakes. Shake well to blend and set aside.


I dressed the salad before I left for my club meeting in Montgomery, and then just before serving, I added a palm full of toasted sesame seeds. (And of course, I got busy laying everything out for the meal and forgot to take a picture of the final dish!)

This was slightly sweet, cool and crunchy next to my Satay Chicken Noodle Salad. The perfect complement! Tomorrow I'm sharing dessert. You don't want to miss this!

I'm so glad you stopped by my neck of the woods!

Please take a moment to sign up to receive new posts by email.
I wouldn't want you to miss one crazy thing...

No comments:

Post a Comment

SITE DESIGNED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS