Friday, August 11, 2017

Crawfish Cornbread


Man, I can't remember the last time I posted! Do you? I'm pretty sure I gave you the recipe for my creamy shrimp and grits that I made a while back for "date night in" with my husband. Well, here's the crawfish cornbread I made with it.

When we were in New Orleans back in January, I picked up a Cajun cookbook for beginners. OK, who am I kidding? I picked up several! But this one had a recipe for Cajun cornbread and it seemed just the thing to go with our shrimp and grits.


I had Gerald stop at the fish market on the way home for shrimp, and I told him to pick up a pound of fresh crawfish. Usually they have them, but this time, he got this. Hummmm. Product of Egypt. Southern, yes, but not our kind of South! Well, I decided to give it a try. Not fresh, but not bad. And I had already prepped my ingredients, so I rolled with it.  


I began by finely dicing half an onion, half a red bell pepper and a stalk of celery. I sauteed this in a tablespoon of EVOO until soft, but no color.


Next I added a half pound of the crawfish meat that I had roughly chopped. Saute until warmed through. Set aside and allow to cool.


I measured out one cup of cornmeal (I use the yellow self rising), one teaspoon of salt and one teaspoon of baking powder, and placed them in a large bowl. I also threw in a heaping teaspoon of the Magic Shrimp seasoning I used in the main dish.


I mixed in an egg and half a stick of melted butter. Then stir in a cup of shredded cheddar cheese.


Finally, mix in cooled veggies/crawfish mixture and stir well.


Pour into a greased and heated skillet and top with more grated cheddar. Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for about 40-45 minutes or until golden brown.


Allow to sit for about 5 minutes before cutting.


This tasty cornbread played nicely with the rich and creamy shrimp and grits!


I'm sure it would have been better with fresh and local crawfish, but this wasn't bad!

I'm so glad you stopped by my neck of the woods!

Please take a moment to sign up to receive new posts by email.
I wouldn't want you to miss one crazy thing...




No comments:

Post a Comment

SITE DESIGNED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS