Sunday, December 26, 2021

DIY Flocked Pine Cones


Pinecones are a natural resource that is in no short supply around our house! We live in the middle of 10 acres of pine trees. I have more than I can handle! (Feel free to come pick some up if you so desire...my kids will be glad of the help!)

I love the natural look of pinecones, especially since they're so much a part of our home. I have found a way to use them that is safe and sanitary. I love using them in tablescapes or in baskets as part of my seasonal decorating, but I don't want any sap leaking, and I definitely don't want any creepy crawly bugs making their way out as we dine by candlelight! Simple fix...bake them!


I place them on half sheet pans and bake at 225-250 degrees for about an hour and a half. This low and slow method dries them out without making them brittle, and it kills anything that might have tagged along inside.


Once they're completely cool, I lay down paper and use snow spray to flock them. I picked up several of these spray bottles during 75% off clearance at Walmart one year. They were maybe $2!


I let it dry between layers. It's easier to build the coverage that way. I want them to look like they've been sitting in the snow, so I don't move them. I spray down from a slight angle, just like snow would hit them. I add a little more as needed. 


I store them in a box in my attic with my Christmas decor. Most make it through with no trouble from year to year. If I lose any, no biggie. I just grab some fresh ones and start the process over again! They really are a lovely addition to my decorations. The white really helped them to stand out. They would have been lost on the dark blue runner if they were their natural brown color. This is a fun, natural, low cost way to decorate!

 I'm so glad you stopped by my neck of the woods!
Please take a moment to sign up on my homepage to receive new posts by email.
I wouldn't want you to miss one crazy thing...
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

SITE DESIGNED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS