Saturday, March 19, 2022

Summer Berries Birthday Luncheon and Tablescape


Here's a simple little tablescape I threw together last summer to celebrate a couple of birthdays in our mother/daughter group. I found these plates a few years ago and used them for a Father's Day meal honoring my father and Gerald's. You can see that design by clicking here. It looks TOTALLY different. I love how the same set of dishes can be changed up so drastically by just swapping out napkins and a tablecloth.


You know I have trouble using fresh cuts flowers since our cat, Possum, loves to chew on them. Many are dangerous - even toxic - to cats, so I try to use artificial flowers when I can. Plants are generally OK, so I often buy something I can use somewhere else later on. Ferns are ubiquitous with Southern summers, so they were a natural choice. I placed them in a simple wicker basket to hide the plastic pot they came in.


Many shades of blue were on display in this tablescape, so I chose to go with the whitewashed wooden chargers. They are actually neither whitewashed, nor wood! They're a light gray and only look like wood. They came from Dollar Tree. The blue checked napkins were purchased for my Blue Christmas cheer brunch. The flatware is "Margate" by Pfaltzgraff. The dinner plates are "Summer Splendor" by Artists Touch. They are actually an off-white color. I don't have cups and saucers in this pattern, so I added my cups and saucers from my everyday pattern, "White Satin" by Nikko. It works fine and actually picks up the white in the tablecloth. A simple navy round placemat underneath makes the light charger pop against the white tablecloth. 


I love to use my antique barn wood runners to elevate my centerpieces. It blends in a little with the burlap runner below. I wish I had added one more layer to make it stand out a little more.


Moms were in the dining room. The only difference in the place settings is the flatware. I used "Austen" by Yamazaki in the dining room.


I love these plates! I found them for $1 each at one of my two favorite thrift stores. I also have salad plates in this pattern.


I found these cute little birthday glasses at Dollar Tree back at the end of 2020. They're actually stemless wine glasses. I bought a dozen, and I used them for our group of twelve during 2021. I placed them at the birthday girl's seat. It was filled with strawberry candy. Just a fun little gift for them to take home and enjoy!


Here are my little wicker balls from Dollar Tree! I use them all the time. The red tealight holders are translucent, so they actually pick up the purple in dishes and add a little more color. 


A little moss helps to hide the green plastic pot the fern came in.


The stemware is "Gibraltar" by Libbey. I got these years ago at a Friends for Faulkner yard sale. I've found a few extra at thrift stores over the years.


I often stack my elements before I actually put the tablescape together - just to see how it will look. I forgot to photograph that, but this detail shot shows you how well they all work together.


I love the organic shape of the fern!


An aerial shot.


And another. We had a wonderful meal and birthday celebration! Check back in for some of the recipes and a shot of the whole group.

 I'm so glad you stopped by my neck of the woods!
Please take a moment to sign up on my homepage to receive new posts by email.
I wouldn't want you to miss one crazy thing...

***All pictures are original and are the property of Missy Hilyer Jones. Please do not use without giving proper credit to me and the blog post they were originally used in. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment

SITE DESIGNED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS