Monday, March 28, 2022

Table Re-Set...St. Patrick's Day 2022

 

I was looking through old blog posts recently looking for something to feature for Spring. It was close to St. Patrick's Day, so that was an obvious choice. I choose a post from March 2018. As I looked at the picture, I thought I wish I had... That gave me an idea. I'm always posting about how I "set" my table. What if I did a "re-set"? You know, kind of a before and after. So I took the original tablescape and tweaked it a little. Here's what happened!

St. Patrick's Day 2018

I like a lot about the original tablescape. It was fresh and cheerful. Very Green! But maybe a little too busy in some ways. There is nowhere for my eyes to rest. So...


St. Patrick's Day 2022

I began by adding the burlap runner. It just calmed the whole tablescape down a little. I can still see the cute lime and blue table scarf underneath, but it's not so in-your-face. I also changed the green placemat to navy. I felt like the navy added some weight and broke up the light, busy colors.


In the original tablescape, I had used a small live pothos plant I had in my playroom. This time I used a very realistic yet artificial fern. This gave the tablescape some airy height and dimension.


As I pointed out above, I changed out the green placemat for a navy one. I also swapped chargers. The original was a pretty natural basketweave charger, but it doesn't lay flush with the table. It is so hard to eat with it. This "wood grain" charger came from Dollar Tree. The medium brown tone adds a bit of an organic look.  


Along with the taller fern in the middle, I added a few other small artificial potted plants. I love the irregular heights and shapes. It made the table much more interesting. 


The original votive holders were a royal blue. I had found these green leaf patterned votive glasses at Dollar Tree a while back and stuck them in my stash. They were great for repeating the green plant theme from the centerpiece.


These wooden bead chains are all the rage right now. Mine came from Amazon. Very reasonable. I snaked it along the table, weaving it through the tablescape. It encourages your eyes to travel throughout the tablescape and not just see each piece as individual.


The small potted succulents (artificial) came from Joann Fabrics. The distressed vase with jute rope trim came from "Bless Your Heart" in Eclectic. White pieces are so versatile. I have a lot of white in my collection, and it always seems to "pop" no matter what my color theme or story might be.


In the original tablescape, I used two of these large twig balls, one on either side of the plant. Very symmetrical. This time I used a total of three. Two on one side and one on the other. This time I was balancing weight in the tablescape and not numbers of items. I don't want it to look too perfectly placed.


I also changed out the flatware this time, adding this vintage teak-handled set. I got four place settings at a thrift store for $5! It plays well with the burlap, wood charger, and twine balls.


I always have lit candles in my tablescapes. I love the glow it gives off!


See the varying heights and shapes of the floral pieces? The white pots pulls it all together.


Otherwise, the dishes and glasses are the same. A few subtle swap outs made all the difference! It softened the tablescape and filled it more generously at the same time.


For dinner we had corned beef (of course), homemade mashed potatoes, roasted carrot sticks, and green beans.

Let me know if you liked seeing a table re-set! I love to mix things up and make them look totally different from one tablescape to another, but I also like the idea of improving upon things from time to time!

 I'm so glad you stopped by my neck of the woods!
Please take a moment to sign up on my homepage to receive new posts by email.
I wouldn't want you to miss one crazy thing...

***All pictures are original and are the property of Missy Hilyer Jones. Please do not use without giving proper credit to me and the blog post they were originally used in. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment

SITE DESIGNED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS