Friday, April 29, 2022

Hobbit Tea Party Menu


You're about to experience the pinnacle of my party-throwing prowess. (Former English teachers just love alliteration!) This one was so much fun to plan and cook for, but let me tell you, it was exhausting! In true hobbit form, I knew I needed to incorporate the traditional seven meals a respectable hobbit would eat each day. But one thing was missing...dessert! So I added an eighth course. I placed a menu card on each plate. I printed these on a pretty parchment paper and then used Jewell's wax seal to make them appear 'Old World". Or should that be "Middle Earth-ish"?


There were twelve young ladies at the party including Jewell, and I had nearly that many mamas who stayed to help me! I'm not sure if they knew what they were in for when they signed up, but I promised them a fun evening and lots of yummy food to sample as we plated and served each course!

We used the white plate as sort of a second charger, instead of actually eating on it. I have a stash of clear glass plates, and I stocked up on white doilies which allowed us to plate a dish with minimal mess. While the next course was being plated on a clean glass plate with fresh doily, the previous plate was being washed and dried to use in the next course. It was a finely choreographed dance!

As each course was presented, I explained it in detail, Top Chef style. It was lots of fun, and the girls loved it. It really got them excited about what they were eating. It also discreetly alerted them to any ingredients that they might be unfamiliar with. I think they all tried everything!  


Breakfast

Spinach, Lemon, and Gruyere Quiche with Orange Slice

This individual quiche was so fresh! I took the time a couple of days before to use refrigerated pie dough to cut and press into mini tart tins. I baked them off and let them cool completely, then stored them in an airtight container. I mixed the quiche ingredients before everyone arrived and then baked them off just in time to have them ready when the meal began. I served an orange slice with them.

Everyone was excited as we began! You can tell by Jewell's face that she was loving every minute of the evening!

 
This was a course they all loved! It was so pretty, too. I served ice water and peach iced tea to drink.


Second Breakfast

Apple, Walnut, and Cranberry Crostini

I was a little nervous about this course, because not everyone loves goat cheese. I decided to mix half goat cheese and half cream cheese to cut the tang a little. I had lightly toasted the French bread earlier that day. It kept its bite and didn't need to be served hot so that was a good time saver. I spread a little of the goat cheese mixture on top, then placed a thin slice of Granny Smith apple, then a sprinkling of toasted walnuts and chopped craisins. I finished it with a drizzle of honey from my daddy's beehives. I made the first plate for each course so the moms working on that course would have a template of sorts. I tried to alternate what the ladies did. If they helped to plate a dish, they helped to serve it. Others were busy washing dishes or preparing ingredients for the next course, and then they swapped.

 

Elevenses

Deviled Egg and Candied Bacon

I tried to keep each portion small. It was about that perfect bite and delicious flavors, not the size of the course. A piece of candied bacon (you can get the recipe here) and one of my classic deviled eggs hit the spot for the third course.


These sweet mamas are some of my very best friends, and I really enjoyed having them there to help me. I couldn't have done it without them!


Luncheon

Tea Sandwich Trio of  Cucumber Tea Sandwich, Tomato, Basil, and Bacon CanapĂ©,

and Pimento Cheese Tea Sandwich

Who doesn't love a good tea sandwich? So why stop with one? I decided to do three of my favorite. The cucumber sandwich was by far the star of the course...in fact, many said it was their favorite bite all night long!



Afternoon Tea

Strawberry-Lavender Scones, Lemon Curd, Clotted Cream, and Strawberry Lemon Hot Tea

You can't have a tea without scones! And what is a scone without tea? I made the lemon curd and clotted cream a couple of days before. It's good up to two weeks in the fridge. Then I made the scones fresh. Since then, I've learned that scones can be made and cut and then flash frozen and baked off as needed. I was so spread out that night - literally all over my kitchen, dining room and kitchen tables - so I made the scones in my laundry room on the dryer. Seriously! As usual, I consulted Beth and David at Smith Byrd Tea Room to find a tea pairing. I had one of my tea friends handle the making of the tea. It was a little tricky since it was for a larger group, but she handled it like a professional! (Her daughter is getting married in a few weeks, and they're having a hot tea bar. She has asked my opinion on it, and we plan to do a practice run soon.)



Dinner

Spring Salad in Frico Cups and Mushroom-Thyme Soup with Breadstick

I thought mushroom soup sounded very Hobbit-y. I made it the day before, as well as the parmesan cups for the little mixed green salad. Every soup needs a salad, and the freshness of this one offset the earthy warmth of the soup very nicely. The breadsticks are doctored-up pizza dough that I baked a couple of courses earlier.




Supper

Apricot-Chive Chicken Salad in Puff Pastry Shells

Chicken salad is a tea party staple. I tried a new recipe for the party and was very happy with it! I took some of the extra dried apricot and thinly sliced and rolled it for an edible garnish. A trio of in-season blackberries added a little contrast in color to the plate.



Dessert

Nutella Mousse with Raspberries and Oreo Crumble

I finished the night with one of Jewell's favorite desserts. This elegant mousse is so simple and tastes divine! I wanted something sweet, but light, after the other courses. Again, in-season raspberries added color and flavor and are a classic pairing with chocoloate. The mousse was made ahead and then piped into the cups and decorated with chocolate dust right before serving.



There is absolutely no way I could have pulled this off without my friends helping! I did a lot of extensive planning and prepped as much as I could during the week before. I had drawn out plating designs for myself, as well as step-by-step lists of how to get each course done. I really felt like I was on a competition cooking show! It was a lot of fun, and the girls absolutely loved it. I don't think there was a single recipe that wasn't a hit! I plan on using them again in smaller teas. Maybe that would be a good way to blog the recipes, plus I could get better pictures of them. I normally struggle with pictures when I entertain. If I can't take it before, I often forget to do it during the party. My friend, Shannon, was so helpful that night in taking pictures of the party as well as trying to catch pictures of each course. It got dark around the third or fourth course, so we started taking pictures inside before taking the food out to the girls. 

I hope you enjoyed seeing this eight-course dinner party that I planned along with Jewell in honor of her high school graduation. It was truly a labor of love!  


No comments:

Post a Comment

SITE DESIGNED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS