Wednesday, November 27, 2013

I HEART...Fresh (EASY) Cranberry Relish




Everybody loves Wednesday, right?
The week's half over.  The weekend is on the way.
What's not to love?
Each Wednesday, I want to share something with you
that I absolutely love and can't live without! 

Thanksgiving is tomorrow, and I'm knee deep in preparations.  Cooking, cleaning, setting tables...  It's a big job, and I'm all about keeping it simple.  A short-cut would definitely be to just crack open a can of jellied cranberry sauce.  My brother, Jon, would definitely be happy.  (His love for canned cranberry sauce is a conundrum.  He fancies himself somewhat of a foodie.  Watching Iron Chef, however, does not make you an iron chef!  Although, I did steal his 5-Pepper BBQ chicken thighs recipe.)  No - I'm making my famous fresh cranberry sauce this Thanksgiving, and you'll be surprised at just how easy it is!  There are only three ingredients, and it takes less than 10 minutes to prepare, so there's still time to get it done before the big day!

Missy's Fresh Cranberry Relish
1 package fresh cranberries
2 large navel oranges
2 cups sugar
I know what you're thinking.  Three ingredients.  That's too simple to be good.  Trust me on this...
Rinse your cranberries in a colander and discard any bad ones.  Working in small batches (the size of my food processor calls for three), pulse the cranberries until they are finely chopped.
Wash oranges and then cut into eighths.  Remove any seeds.  Leaving the oranges unpeeled, cut them into large chunks.  Again, working in batches, pulse the oranges until they are finely chopped, being careful to save any juice. 

Mix the cranberries, oranges with their juice, and sugar in a large bowl and stir well until sugar is dissolved.  Place in refrigerator overnight, stirring occasionally.  The sugar will completely dissolve and it will thicken a little.  Serve cold.
I love, love, love this recipe.  It is so fresh and delicious and complements a Thanksgiving menu wonderfully!  I love to eat it on my dressing.  It's also great with ham.  And IF there is any left the next day, make a turkey and dressing sandwich on wheat bread and add a little of this relish instead of mayo or mustard.  You'll be thanking me! 
Happy Thanksgiving!


******************************************
I'm so glad you stopped by my neck of the woods!
Please take a moment to sign up to receive new posts by email.
I wouldn't want you to miss one crazy thing...

No comments:

Post a Comment

SITE DESIGNED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS