Thursday, January 21, 2016

"Go Set a Watchman" Book Club Meeting

I recently hosted my book club as we discussed the book "Go Set a Watchman" by Harper Lee. It fell close on the heels of the holidays, and our number was a little down. But I must say we had probably the best discussion we've ever had!

The book called for Southern fare, so I attempted to channel my inner Aunt Alexandra to determine what she'd serve to her Missions Society ladies in the 1960's. I think I came close!


No Southern hostess (worth her salt) would fail to serve pimento cheese. I love it with these organic whole grain crackers from Costco and red pepper jelly. 


Who doesn't love meatballs made with grape jelly and barbeque sauce? I dumped a bag of frozen all-beef Italian-style meatballs in my crock pot on low with one bottle of each and four hours later, Voila!


Every good Southern cook has her own favorite recipe for deviled eggs. Mine includes sweet pickle relish and a squirt of yellow mustard. 


I pulled out my greatgrandmother's relish dish for the pickled beets, pickled okra and pickled pickles! (Those are made with Mama's recipe. They're simple and addictive. I always have some in the fridge.)


I served it all on my wedding china, because Alexandra would only use her best things, plus - my friends are worth it!


We had a fantastic discussion. No - it's probably not destined to be a classic on the scale of "To Kill A Mockingbird", but it's worth reading. I find it fascinating that one woman could have written both books - so different - yet dealing with the same topics - so close together. What do you think?

I'm so glad you stopped by my neck of the woods!
Please take a moment to sign up to receive new posts by email.

I wouldn't want you to miss one crazy thing...

No comments:

Post a Comment

SITE DESIGNED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS