Tuesday, July 19, 2016

One Pot Gnocchi with Sausage and Spinach


Here's the low down on this dish, y'all.

1) It is one of the BEST things I've ever eaten.
2) It's a 20 minute meal.
3) It cooks in one pan.
4) It is one of the BEST things I've ever eaten! (Did I say that already? Well, it seriously is, so it is worth restating!)


Heat a skillet with two tablespoons EVOO. Add one chopped red onion (I would usually use yellow or vidalia, but this is all I had that night)...


And one pound mild Italian bulk sausage.


Break up the meat and saute meat and onions until meat is done and onions are translucent.


Add two cloves minced garlic.


This gnocchi can be found on the pasta aisle. I accidentally grabbed the mini, but I loved it. I'll get it next time, too. This stuff lasts in the pantry for months.


Add the uncooked gnocchi.


Mix well.


Add one can diced Italian tomatoes with juice and 1/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth. (Be sure to get the ones with basil, garlic and oregano.)


Stir well again. Cover and cook over medium heat until gnocchi is tender, about 5 minutes. Turn off heat.


You'll need one small bag of baby spinach (about 4 cups).


Add spinach and 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese; stir until spinach has wilted and cheese is melted.


Sprinkle with another 1/2 cup mozzarella and 1/2 cup Parmesan. Cover and let sit on warm stove for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.


I have to thank my friend, Angie Brenneman, for bringing this one to my attention. She made this for Italian night for our cookbook club a few months ago. It was my favorite dish that night! I made it not long ago after a long day at the lake. Everyone loved it. My brother, Jon, even said it was delicious! He's got good taste, but usually my food gets a grunt (as he dives in) or maybe a back-handed compliment. I mean - I am his big sister, and he can't just tell me he likes something! But he did the night I made this. School will be starting again soon, and our schedules will revert to craziness, so I'm picking up what I need for this to keep on hand. You should to.

I'm so glad you stopped by my neck of the woods!

Please take a moment to sign up to receive new posts by email.
I wouldn't want you to miss one crazy thing...

No comments:

Post a Comment

SITE DESIGNED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS