Friday, March 31, 2017

Irish Cornbread


I thought I'd finished up all my St. Patrick's Day recipes, but I forgot one! Irish cornbread. This was an interesting recipe, and it turned out to be really tasty. It is unlike any cornbread I've ever made or tasted. Give it a read, and maybe try it out soon!


Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place iron skillet in oven to heat. Place four cups of milk in a large saucepan and bring nearly to a boil. There will be steam coming off it and have lots of little bubbles around the edges. 


Remove from heat and add two cups of yellow cornmeal mix, four tablespoons of butter and one teaspoon salt. 


Mix well using a whisk. Allow this to sit off the heat for about 10 minutes to thicken.


Meanwhile, separate three eggs and beat the whites until you have medium peaks.


By now the cornmeal mixture will have cooled some. Add egg yolks and stir well.


Mix thoroughly.


Just before baking, add about 1/3 of the egg whites and mix with the whisk to lighten the mix.


Fold in the rest of the egg whites carefully to keep them from deflating.


It's OK if you can still see a few streaks of white.


Remove skillet from oven and add one teaspoon EVOO. I used a pastry brush to get the oil up the sides.


Pour in batter. You will hear it sizzle!


Bake for about 30 minutes or until brown on top.


We topped this with Kerry Gold butter, of course. It was St. Patrick's Day after all! The texture of this cornbread was much different than what I am used to, but I liked it a lot. It was much denser, but it wasn't heavy. It was more like a spoon bread. It was delicious!

This finally wraps up St. Patrick's Day (seriously!) and March for that matter. I'm working on my Easter decorations this weekend. See you in April!


I'm so glad you stopped by my neck of the woods!

Please take a moment to sign up to receive new posts by email.
I wouldn't want you to miss one crazy thing...

No comments:

Post a Comment

SITE DESIGNED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS