Thursday, May 25, 2017

Bacon and Cheese Scones


Today we're talking scones, or what we Southerners would call "fancy biscuits"! When I make my corn bisque, I usually make crispy garlic bread to dip in it, but last week, I decided to try something new. Since I wasn't adding crab or shrimp to the bisque, I decided to try these bacon and cheese scones. Corn and bacon go great together, right? Right!


Preheat your oven to 425 degrees.
In a large bowl, whisk together two cups all purpose flour, one teaspoon salt,
one tablespoon baking powder and two teaspoons sugar. 
Cut in four tablespoons of very cold butter.
Work until butter is smaller than pea-sized.

TIP - Don't use your hands. That will warm the butter and soften it. Use a biscuit cutter or a fork. Also - stick it in the freezer while you get all your ingredients ready. It will stay colder much longer, allowing your butter to stay cold. This helps your biscuits rise and be fluffy.


Add eight slices of crispy and crumbled bacon, one cup grated cheddar cheese, and 1/4 cup of minced chives.


Mix well until everything is coated in the flour. Slowly add in 3/4 cup of heavy cream (I used half and half). It may not take all of it. You don't want the dough to be wet. However, it needs enough moisture to come together when squeezed.


Grease a 10" skillet with butter.


Pat dough lightly into the skillet.


Use a sharp knife and carefully cut into "pie slices".
Brush lightly with an egg beaten with a little milk.


Bake 30 to 35  minutes or until done and golden brown.
Using a sharp knife, go back through the cuts.
Serve warm.


This was the perfect compliment to the creamy and sweet corn bisque! I dipped a little into the bisque, then finally just crumbled it into large pieces and dropped it in. Jewell ate her's with grape jelly. Either way, it was delicious!

I'm so glad you stopped by my neck of the woods!

Please take a moment to sign up to receive new posts by email.
I wouldn't want you to miss one crazy thing...

No comments:

Post a Comment

SITE DESIGNED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS