Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Pineapple and Pecan Chicken Salad

 

One place you will never see Gerald is in a Chicken Salad Chick restaurant...if you do, call me ASAP. He's undoubtedly been kidnapped! It's a little different at home. He has tried a couple of different chicken salads and lived to tell about it! Thus, today's post...

I've been jumping around a little bit lately, but I'm revisiting Mother's Day to share with you the recipe for the chicken salad sliders we had that day. I have already given you the recipe for Gerald's Favorite Chicken Salad (which if you know Gerald, you realize how much of an oxymoron "Gerald's favorite any kind of salad" is!). If you haven't tried it, click above and check it out. It really is good.

I wanted to do something a little different this time, so I made up another fruity twist on chicken salad with ingredients I had on hand. I did buy a rotisserie chicken, which I picked and chopped before adding all the extras. 

TIP - Be sure to pick your chicken while it's warm...it's so much easier!


Next I added a small can of crushed pineapple (with the juice), a cup of craisins (I have been buying the low sugar variety and no one knows any better!), half a bunch of chopped green onions (white and green parts) and a cup of toasted pecans.

TIP - I toast my pecans in the microwave. I place them in a bowl and begin with about 1.5 minutes on high. Stir and continue to cook in 30 second intervals until they are done. They take on the taosted flavor without as much damger of burning. Lots faster, too.


Lastly, I added about a cup of mayo. Add more or less to taste. Also season well with salt and pepper. You can add a little bit of sugar if it is not quite sweet enough for you. The juice makes it pretty sweet, though. I usually add a little more mayo (maybe 1/4 cup) just before serving. The chicken will absorb much of the mayo, and this makes it more creamy. Prettier, too.


I served this on whole wheat Hawaiian rolls. That added to the sweet flavor, too, so don't sweeten the chicken salad too much! Even the men liked this salad. Gerald says the other is still his favorite, but hey, at least now, he has a couple of chicken salad recipes under his belt!

I'm so glad you stopped by my neck of the woods!

Please take a moment to sign up to receive new posts by email.
I wouldn't want you to miss one crazy thing...




No comments:

Post a Comment

SITE DESIGNED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS