Monday, May 8, 2017

Cinco de Mayo 2017 Tablescape


Brack's birthday was last Thursday. I didn't think we'd be home so we had his birthday dinner earlier in the week. Our plans changed a little, so we had my parents over on Thursday for another birthday dinner with a Cinco de Mayo theme.

 

Last week I blogged about how to design a tablescape and why. If you haven't read that post, I hope you'll take a minute. The most important point I was trying to make was for you to take time to make special memories with your family. Lingering around the table makes time for conversation. Always a good thing in families.

Above you can see what I had initially pulled for this tablescape.


I began with my white linen tablecloth and then added this black chevron patterned burlap runner. I bought this fabric for Halloween one year. I cut the fabric in half lengthwise and then finished the edges so it wouldn't ravel (more than I wanted it to).


Next I added my orange placemats. These came from Dollar Tree a few years ago. Here they are in March as part of my St. Patrick's Day table.


My wicker chargers remind me of a sombrero hat!


My plates are "La Fiesta" by Oneida. I got these several years ago and have a big set of Lazy Susan serving pieces.


This smoky black stem was one of my .25 cent finds at the thrift store last year. The pattern is "Black Smoke" by Libbey and they are mid-century.


My flatware pattern "Abigail" by Hampton Silversmiths has shown up a good deal lately!


I made these black napkins with chili peppers several years ago. The fabric was from Hobby Lobby.


Here's what I had so far. My placesettings were looking nice!


These black things came from Dollar tree. I have used them to hold pens and glass votives.


I decided this time to drop in a empty mocha frappe bottle to serve as a vase.


My hammered gold tealight holders from Dollar Tree finished off the center of the table. I set the table the day before, so I didn't want to add the greenery yet. It looked a little blah to me, but I left it and just stuck my head in to look a few times over the next few hours. 


I cut some nandina from my front yard. This helped, but the table still wasn't what I wanted.


Then I realized both the napkins and the plates had peppers on them! I always have bell peppers in my fridge. I get this bag of six multi-colored peppers for about $6. I already had them in the fridge! Perfect! The basket was one I found at Dillards on clearance for a couple of bucks a few years ago. I had never used it, but it was perfect for this setting.


So, there you have it! That's how this table came together. Mama and Daddy came for supper. It was delicious (I'll share the recipes later this week), and guess what? We lingered at the table talking! Daddy told the kids about his mission trip to Nigeria in 1966 - the one where he caught malaria AND German measles, then had to flee the country because of a military coup. After having his car searched at gunpoint, he was able to escape by plane, but was then stranded in Rome for two weeks! The kids listened to the story with baited breath. Best part - no phones or iPads were even on the table. We just enjoyed being together. Mission accomplished!

  I'm so glad you stopped by my neck of the woods!

Please take a moment to sign up to receive new posts by email.
I wouldn't want you to miss one crazy thing...


No comments:

Post a Comment

SITE DESIGNED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS