Friday, February 16, 2018

Creamy Mushroom Chicken


We have something on the calendar each night this week, so we celebrated Valentine's Day the night before. It was a dinner for all four of us, but my tablescape was still a Romantic Paris-Inspired theme. Never to early to teach my twelve-year old son how to appreciate a little romance! And of course Jewell loved it. She is truly a romantic at heart.


Here's a bird's eye view of our beautiful tablescape last night. You can see every inch of it by clicking here.

I found this recipe on Pinterest, but like most of them, I modified it according to what I had. I also made some changes that I'll share with you as we go.

Creamy Mushroom Chicken

for the chicken
12-14 chicken tenders
3 cloves of garlic, finely minced
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
2 tablespoons of EVOO
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper

for the creamy sauce
4 cloves of garlic, finely minced
four slices of bacon, diced
16 oz package of brown mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
2 cups heavy cream
1 cup chicken broth
1 cup Parmesan, plus more for garnish
salt and pepper to taste
parsley for garnish

Begin by mixing the EVOO, garlic, parsley, salt and pepper in a small bowl.  Add chicken to a gallon zipper bag and add EVOO mixture. Seal and massage into meat, distributing evenly. Allow to sit for a few minutes.

Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken tenders and brown on both sides. Remove to a platter.


Add another tablespoon of EVOO to the pan and add mushrooms.


Allow to saute without stirring until they get a little brown. Then stir them around a little.


Add minced garlic and stir for a few seconds until you smell the garlic. Don't allow it to burn.


Add cream and chicken broth and bring to a boil. Be sure to scrape the yummy brown bits off the bottom of the pan.


Reduce to a simmer and allow to thicken.


After about 8 minutes on simmer, it still was not as thick as I would have liked, so I mixed one teaspoon of corn starch with a tablespoon of water. Then I drizzled it in slowly while I whisked the cream sauce. It thickened perfectly. Add chicken back to the sauce and let it simmer about five minutes or until the chicken is done. The tenders don't take long. 


I had cooked my bacon the night before, so I added it before serving. The recipe actually called for cooking the bacon before sauteing the mushrooms. I thought I wanted my bacon to be crispy, and so I added it last. In all actuality, it was not needed at all. It really didn't add anything to the dish. I will leave it out next time.

The original recipe also called for boneless chicken thighs, but since I always have boneless tenders, that's what I used.

I will make this again. Everyone enjoyed it.


I served it with a wild rice and quinoa blend, brown butter garlic green beans, and garlic knots. I'll share the recipe for those soon!


I'm so glad you stopped by my neck of the woods!

Please take a moment to sign up to receive new posts by email.

I wouldn't want you to miss one crazy thing!


No comments:

Post a Comment

SITE DESIGNED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS