Monday, October 23, 2023

Family Tea Party


Over the summer, I set out to host a number of tea parties. Some were planned for special groups, such as this one, but for several, I just put out an invitation on Facebook for anyone who was available on a certain date and wanted to come. It was lots of fun! Kind of like a "Guess who's coming to dinner?" party. It was great to make some new friends and re-connect with old ones.


This particular tea party was planned for the women in my family who lived nearby. We happen to live in the small town where my father was born and raised. Two of my aunts are local. I invited them along with one of my cousins and her daughter. With my mother and Jewell present, we had two sets of three generations that day!


The date was May 23rd. It was early summer. Actually, it was late spring, but as you know, by the time we get to May in the South, summer is in full swing! I pulled out my formal flatware. The pattern is "Ribbon Edge Frost" by Gorham. If you look closely, you'll see that I placed a pink tablecloth down as my first layer, and then used a vintage eyelet cloth which allowed just enough of the pink to show through.


I began my tablescape by pulling out this tea set I found while thrifting last summer. I wish I knew the maker. It's actually very delicate. The cherry blossoms are hand-painted. I have six cups and saucers, six salad plates, a teapot, and a sugar bowl and creamer set. I got the set for $15!


"Paris" by Harney & Sons has become my favorite go-to blend. I served it at just about every tea party I hosted this summer! I served ice water in these vintage-style Pioneer Woman tumblers.


I read somewhere that the Brits serve plain milk with their tea. I love my half and half with my coffee, but I've started using milk with tea and have found there's less of a chance of it curdling.


My daisy gardenias were in full bloom. Their scent is absolutely intoxicating! I used the cherry blossom teapot as a vase and placed a few pieces of tape across the mouth in a cross hatch pattern to support the gardenia blooms. I placed a few extra blooms in tiny vases and scattered them. I used silver chargers from The Dollar Tree and added my "White Satin" dinner plates by Nikko as the second layer. We didn't use them, but they bridged the gap in size between the chargers and the smaller plates.


I try to always have a decaf option when I have a tea party. This "Mother's Day" blend (also by Harney & Sons) was a little fruity and a little floral. It went very well with our scones. I started with a cup of "Paris" and ended with this one. 


I like including the tea tins on the table. It's pretty, and it allows my guests to read what's in each blend. We also can have a little sniff! I also like to look at the tea leaves. You can learn a lot about the blend by seeing what's inside. I have a couple of white teapots that I use most of the time. I purchased a couple of white tea warmers that do an excellent job of keeping our tea warm!


Of course I scattered some tea lights down the table. I love candles no matter what the time of day! Napkins with a little Battenburg lace detail added another feminine touch. 


The scones for the day were "Orange Cream". I'll share the recipe soon. My husband loved these!


I served them with lemon curd, as well as some of the leftover glaze. No clotted cream that day. Trust me - we didn't miss it! I served them both in sherbet dishes that once belonged to my maternal grandmother. Her daughter (one of my aunts who doesn't live locally) gave them to me, and I cherish them! I thought it was so appropriate to use them to honor my grandmother.


I used a mini floral cutter on these. They were small, so there was no guilt in eating several!


The pink and white table was very feminine and perfect for this afternoon spent catching up with family!



 

No comments:

Post a Comment

SITE DESIGNED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS