Thursday, February 25, 2016

Cheesy Green Chili Rice


Good morning! February is quickly coming to a close, and I'm working hard to finish up with my posts from Valentine's Day and other February events.

Yesterday I gave you the recipe for the Mojo Marinated Pork Roast. Today I'm talking salad and sides.


Yesterday, I called this "refrigerator salad", and that's a great description because I literally opened the fridge to see what I had on hand for a salad! I always have a box of baby spinach. It lasts forever in the fridge (TIP - each time you use some of the spinach, put a clean, dry paper towel in the box. It absorbs moisture and keeps the spinach from wilting and going bad.), and it's so much better for you than iceberg.  

I had served a fruit salad the day before at the Mother/Son Valentine's Day party I hosted, so I pulled out the leftovers and dipped out some mandarin orange slices and some of the pomegranate seeds. I added some slivered almonds and dressing, and Voila! 


My Cuban inspired pork needed an equally flavorful side, so I made cheesy green chili rice. As usual, I read the recipe (link above) and then proceeded to make it my way.

I began by cooking two cups of (dry) rice in two cups of water. Set aside. Then I grated some Monterrey Jack cheese, and I had a half a bag of Mexican blend cheese in the fridge.


Mix the rice, Monterrey jack cheese, one 4 oz. can of drained chopped green chilies, about a half a cup of sour cream and salt and pepper to taste. (My taste needed a lot...rice is pretty bland and the jack cheese is not as salty as a cheddar.) Mix well.


Spread evenly into a greased casserole dish.


Sprinkle with the Mexican blend cheese and cover with foil. Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes or until beginning to bubble. Remove foil and cook another 10 minutes or until cheese on top begins to bubble and brown.


Green beans are my go-to vegetable. I buy a case of twelve from Costco. They're easy to keep on hand, quick to cook and MOST everyone likes them!

That's the meal! Check back in tomorrow when I share dessert...Raspberry Mousse!

I'm so glad you stopped by my neck of the woods!
Please take a moment to sign up to receive new posts by email.

I wouldn't want you to miss one crazy thing...


No comments:

Post a Comment

SITE DESIGNED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS