Friday, February 26, 2016

Raspberry Mousse


Today I finish up my posting about our family Valentine's Day dinner. And, of course, I saved the best for last...dessert!


I wanted something light for dessert, so I found this recipe for Raspberry Mousse. It was a sweet ending to our Valentine's Day meal, and I think it sure looks like "love", don't you?

Guess what - I didn't follow the recipe exactly. Surprised? Me either. The only unflavored gelatin my Walmart had was a huge box for $10. I needed 2 teaspoons. Yeah. Not happening.


In a medium saucepan, mix one small package raspberry Jello with 1/4 cup cold water. Mix and let it sit for five minutes. 


Stir in 1/2 cup boiling water, 1/4 cup white sugar, one teaspoon vanilla, one tablespoon fresh lemon juice, and one cup fresh raspberries. Bring to a boil over medium heat and reduce to a simmer. Simmer for five minutes.


Use an immersion blender to puree until smooth. Allow to cool at least fifteen minutes.


When raspberry puree is cool, beat two cups cold heavy cream and 1/4 cup powdered sugar until hard peaks form.


Gently fold in cooled raspberry puree.


Continue to fold gently until there are no visible red streaks. Don't deflate the whipped cream.


Use a piping bag and large tip to swirl mousse into pretty glasses. Garnish with more fresh raspberries.

TIP - If you don't have a stash of these bags and tips, go NOW to your local Hobby Lobby and get some! About every four years I buy a box. They come 100 to a box and Hobby Lobby has them for $19.99. Don't forget your 40% coupon!

I use these for making deviled eggs, icing cakes and cupcakes and for desserts, like these.

The tips are less than $1 each and having a few large ones on hand is great.


This dessert was light and delicious. The kids loved it! It makes a lot, so I put the leftover mousse in a Tupperware bowl and stuck it in the fridge. I saw each kid (at least once) take a spoon to the fridge and just dig in. (I know - double dipping and all that - but we're family!) After I thought they were done the next day, I finished it off. Let's just say they made me promise to make it again soon!

I'm so glad you stopped by my neck of the woods!
Please take a moment to sign up to receive new posts by email.

I wouldn't want you to miss one crazy thing...



1 comment:

  1. That looks absolutely delicious! Raspberry is one of my favorite flavors and I'll have to give this recipe a try. Thanks for sharing it with us!

    ReplyDelete

SITE DESIGNED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS