Thursday, April 21, 2016

Kite Party Tablescape

On Tuesday, I shared with you the invitation to our latest Miss Manners party which I hosted last Saturday. Today I'm sharing the details of the tablescapes.


I wanted everything to be light and airy. Think blue skies and kites! I found the blue fabric for the table runners at Walmart. The white swirls on the blue fabric made me think of clouds and wind. A perfect backdrop for my kites!


Next I headed to Dollar Tree to look for paper goods. I don't worry about buying sturdy, expensive paper goods since I know that I'll be using my glass plates for food. I am more concerned with pretty than durable! I found one pack of these baby blue plates and used them for chargers. I found the napkins there as well. I like to mix patterns, and I thought the geo-print in two shades of blue would blend nicely with my table runners. All the blue allowed the colors of the kites to pop.


I made a simple kite door hanger for each of the girls and incorporated it into the table decor. I encouraged them to take these home and hang them on their bedroom doors.


You can't fly a kite without string - lots and lots of kite string! We lose kites regularly in all of the trees surrounding our house, so Gerald doesn't invest in expensive kite accoutrements. He came home one day with a couple of these colorful kite string winders, and I thought they'd be perfect for adding color to my table. I went back to Dollar General and bought another half dozen. They were $1 each!

The little kite on top is a bookmark. This was our craft for the day. More on that later. 


I scattered little blue glass bubbles down the table. I found them at Dollar Tree. They could easily work with a water tablescape, but they just spoke "air" to me.


I like to have cut flowers in my home, but they don't last long. When possible, I try to create a centerpiece out of something I'll use again. I found these maiden hair ferns the other day and bought them for my bathrooms. I like how flexible they are. They seem to float when the air blows them. 

The vase I used is one I made. I'll share those details soon.


3-D kites hung from the lights and added a sense of whimsy. More on that soon...


I recently found a STEAL on a cotton candy maker. Doesn't everyone need a good cotton candy maker? (Don't judge! It was $39, on sale from $230!) 

I made my "famous" white cupcakes and cream cheese icing and set them on tea saucers to make them "special". I thought little puffs of blue "clouds" made from cotton candy would be so cute on top! It was! For about 3 minutes. As soon as I got them all set on the table and went back to look, the cotton candy had melted. I guess the moisture from the icing got to them. They ended up looking like they were sprinkled with blue sanding sugar. Oh well. They looked good for the pictures!

That cotton candy machine will be making appearances at birthday parties and at Halloween. The kids are already asking me to just keep it on the kitchen counter!

I used silver cupcake wrappers to match the flower pots.


I pulled out my trusty Starbucks mocha bottles. I found silver and white striped straws to go with the cupcake wrappers and vases.

I set the tables in both the kitchen and dining room. I'm so pleased with the airy and Spring-like decorations! It really got us all in the mood to go fly a kite!

Check back in for details on crafts and food. Yummy, yummy, yummy!

I'm so glad you stopped by my neck of the woods!

Please take a moment to sign up to receive new posts by email.
I wouldn't want you to miss one crazy thing...




2 comments:

  1. Happiness!! Love the theme and love the colors (I used that same blue fabric to make Madeline's Wendy costume last year for spring showcase. Been wondering what to do with the leftover!;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute, Missy! I love all the details -- especially the kites hanging from your chandelier.

    ReplyDelete

SITE DESIGNED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS