Tuesday, May 3, 2016

What I'm Reading...April 2016

A lot of reading has taken place at our house this month! Jewell is now on book seven of the "Anne of Green Gables" series. She started them at the beginning of the year, and although she can hardly wait to start each new book, she says she's starting to read a little less each day...just to make it last longer!

Brack is into reading the Minecraft story series. 


We absolutely LOVED this quirky offbeat family read aloud. Ronald Dahl is always eccentric, and this was no different. The kids always begged for one more chapter and were sad when we finished it. 


This was what my book club read for our last meeting. An excellent read, though graphic (but not explicit) at times, it tells about the persecution Jews faced in Russia more than 40 years before anyone ever heard of Hitler. Also a beautiful study about the relationship between children and their aging parents. Highly recommend.


One of my book club friends loaned me the first couple of books from the Amelia Peabody series. These are quick but interesting reads. Imagine a female Indiana Jones. These are written by a woman who was a real Egyptologist, so these are authentic, as well as fun.


The kids turned up their noses when I introduced this as our next read aloud. But now, (just like always) they beg for more. Set over a thousand years ago, it is the story of two unlikely friends, Ren and Hu. This book has taught as a lot about the Great Wall of China and the culture surrounding it. 


This has been a great read for me. It has helped me to slow down and weigh the importance of what I do from day to day. Saying yes to one thing means that I have to say no to doing something else.  


Cookbooks have feelings, too! OK, maybe they don't, but they're lots of fun to read, and I always have a stack by my bed. Ina Garten is one of my favorites when it comes to entertaining, and this book - recipes, pictures, and stories - does not disappoint.


I got this Italian cookbook from a friend who was cleaning out her shelves. It's not your quintessential pasta book, and I found it very interesting to read about the traditions and culture of central Italy. I also found the most interestingly named - but more importantly, delicious! - recipe for "Pre-Nuptial Meat Patties" in this book. I'll be blogging about them soon, and you don't want to miss it!

So that's what I read in April. What about you?


I'm so glad you stopped by my neck of the woods!

Please take a moment to sign up to receive new posts by email.
I wouldn't want you to miss one crazy thing...




No comments:

Post a Comment

SITE DESIGNED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS