Thursday, April 28, 2016

Hanging Paper Kites Tutorial


Today I want to share with you how I made these sweet hanging kites!


I began by cutting my paper. I forgot to write down the exact measurements, but they're about 3.5" x 4.5".


I wanted the top part of the kite to be about 1/3 of the total length, so I figured what that would be and marked the paper at the sides. I also marked the top and bottom middle. Then I used my ruler to make the sides.


I cut this one out to use as my pattern.


I then flipped the paper to the white side and traced the kites.


I cut them out using my paper cutter. You could use scissors.


Fold them in half, wrong side out. Use a bone folder or a pencil to crease.


I went ahead and did them all at one time.


I used my Scotch ATG (Advanced Tape Glider) to run a strip of adhesive along the two outer sides and then adhered it to another folded piece.


I used four colors per kite.


See how it's coming together?


Before sealing up the last side, run the adhesive down the middle.


I had already figured the length of my cords. Lay a cord down the middle. Press into the adhesive. Now you can apply adhesive to the last edges and seal up the kite.


I ran my fingers along the sides to make sure they were stuck together.


I had this ribbon in my stash. It's usually 2 for $1 at Walmart. I went ahead and cut three pieces for each kite.


Knot around the kite string.


It's virtually impossible to match the sides perfectly. I went back and trimmed away any obvious white borders.


I used tape to hang them from the inside of the light fixture in my dining room. I tied them to the arms of the chandelier in the kitchen. The girls loved them. So does Possum Kitty. I've found him on my table playing with them several times. Don't tell my mama...

I hope you've enjoyed the details of my kite party! Here's one last look...




I'm so glad you stopped by my neck of the woods!

Please take a moment to sign up to receive new posts by email.
I wouldn't want you to miss one crazy thing...





No comments:

Post a Comment

SITE DESIGNED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS