Monday, May 15, 2017

Pretty in Pink - Mother's Day 2017 Tablescape


I hope each and every one of you had a wonderful Mother's Day. I know I did! We hosted my parents, along with my brothers and their wives and kids at our home for lunch. My in-laws were in town earlier last week. I'll share the special supper we had with them later this week.


A couple of weeks ago, I blogged about Building a Tablescape - How and Why, and in it, I showed you how I had pulled a few things for both Mother's Day and Cinco de Mayo. That post was not just about how to do it, but the importance of why - spending time together around the table and building traditions. Above you can see what I used as a base for my Mother's Day tablescape. Below I'll show you how it all came together.


I began with my white linen tablecloth and then layered a pink gingham check cloth that I made nearly 15 years ago when Faulkner was hosting a dinner for auxiliary groups from various other Christian colleges. I was responsible for decorating one table. This was long before I was blogging, and although I loved entertaining even back then, my skills were far from what they are today! I pretty much had the tablecloth and napkins (you'll see below) and then my white dishes and green stemware. Pretty, but no depth to it. I've come a long way baby!

The tablerunner above came from Dillards on clearance. It has been seen recently in Brack's Chinese-Inspired tablescape as well as Thanksgiving 2015


During lunch yesterday, my mother asked me where I got the scalloped placemats. She was beginning to say that she had some like them. I guess I looked a little sheepish, because she said, "Are these mine?!" Guilty! I couldn't find a picture of where I have used these before, so I don't know why I "borrowed" them. I assured her I'd return them this week...I need the space! 


Next came my wicker chargers. I absolutely love these! They're perfect no matter the season, and they add such pretty texture. They play well with the table runner.


I know I've been using my "new" thrift store white dishes ("Heritage" by Pfaltzgraff) a lot lately, and I thought about using my original white everyday wear, but I thought the shape worked well with the salad plates I used.


The pretty in pink stemware is also called "Heritage" and is a retired pattern by Fostoria. They're so lady-like! 

 

I added coffee cups to the placesetting. Not only was I planning to serve coffee with dessert, it adds more dimension to the tablesetting.


Here are the napkins I made for the Faulkner dinner years ago - a pretty pink and green toile. I think the green glasses were probably very nice with it years ago.


I decided to use my "gold" flatwear. To me, it went well with the wicker natural elements - if not texture wise, at least in color. Silver would have stood out too much. The pattern is "Golden American Chippendale" by FB Rogers.


Here you can see my salad plates. Although round, the pink on the inside reflects the shape on the dinner plate. I picked these up last fall at a thrift shop. I think I got eight for $5. I believe the pattern is "Lyon". They are by Gibson.


Continuing with the natural elements, I decided to use these rope-accented flower vases I made a couple of years ago for another Mother's Day table. You can see exactly how I did it by clicking the link above. I started off planning to use three, but ended up pulling one off later.


Friends for Faulkner had their annual yardsale about a week ago, and I picked up three of these pretty gold votives. They worked with the natural colors and my gold flatware. 


So here's what it looked like after I set the table mid-week. I try to set the table ahead of time, especially when I know we have a busy weekend.


I picked up my flowers on Friday afternoon. There is a wholesale floral shop that let's me in (I still pay tax, but it's a great savings). I went in not knowing what I was going to find with it being Mother's Day. They had some beautiful pink tulips, but: a) they weren't right for the vases I was using, and b) they were the wrong color pink. They had some pretty pink Alstromeria that I was heading for, but then I saw these...


It's called "Rice Flower", and I thought it was so pretty and different! They have a very woody stem with foliage almost like pine needles. I bought a bunch and cut it to the length of my vase. There are five stems in each vase, and when I put them in the vase, they automatically formed a beautiful dome! I added a little bit of cutting from my nandina and called it a day. Pretty and low, it was the perfect color for my tablescape. The florist also told me they dry well. We'll see if I can figure out how to do it. They'd be beautiful in Jewell's bedroom.


I put my flowers out and lit the candles as everyone was arriving.


The ladies all sat in the dining room. It was such a pretty and feminine table! I love all the layers and levels. My favorite tablescapes are the ones stacked up high!

We had a simple, but delicious meal. I 'll share that with you over the next few days.

I'm so glad you stopped by my neck of the woods!

Please take a moment to sign up to receive new posts by email.
I wouldn't want you to miss one crazy thing...




No comments:

Post a Comment

SITE DESIGNED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS