Friday, April 7, 2017

Craft Closet Makeover - The Reveal!


I do a lot of sewing and crafting. Paper crafting is one of my newest hobbies, and I've already accumulated a good bit of...stuff! 

Today I want to give you a tour of my DIY Craft Closet. Here's what I have come up with to not only organize my stash, but give me a place to work and then close off when needed. 

I'm still trying to catch up on my posts, so while this is new to you, I've had it since last May. This was actually my Mother's Day present to myself!


Here's a view of my hallway. The door at the end is the office. Brack's room is at the end on the right. Jewell's room is on the right too, but just before the pic begins. Each of the kids have a large closet, but when we built, we decided not to use their bedroom closets for their clothes, but for "mini playrooms". Jewell had her big wooden kitchen set in hers, as well as her Barbie townhouse. Eventually, Brack's was filled with workbenches and dragon castles. Both have a toy chest in their closets where we kept their dress up clothes. I will find a pic of this soon and share it with you. It was really cool!

We were able to do this because we have these two large closets outside their rooms. We used the first one on the left for their clothes for years. The second one is my sewing and fabric closet. It's only been in the last few years or so that we moved everything out and hung closet doors in their room. 

So, what to do with their old clothes closet? Well, here's how it used to look...


All my stuff got crammed in, and I had to dig through, find what I needed and then work somewhere else like the kitchen or dining room table. And then it had to be cleaned up before we could sit down and eat!


So - I decided Mama deserved her own craft room. Well, all rooms are being used, so a closet will have to do! I'll do a separate post showing you how I did it, but for today, I'll just give you a tour.


Up top I have a bunch of pretty shoe boxes. I had a couple already that were empty, but I needed more. Michael's and Hobby Lobby both run these periodically for .99 cents, so I stocked up. I tried to get several patterns that coordinate. This is where I store extras and things I don't use everyday.


Here's a view of the left side.


Ink and ribbons are found on this side.


I found these two glass containers for .50 cents each at a Friends for Faulkner yard sale. They're perfect for holding smaller rolls of ribbon and twine.


This old cassette tape organizer is perfect for holding all my ink pads. I had JUST thrown away two of these when I got the idea for this on pinterest. Oh, man!  I found this one on ebay for a couple of bucks. With the shipping, it cost me a total of $12.


The clear box above is actually a refrigerator drawer organizer. I paid about $5 for it at Lowe's. It holds my larger rolls of ribbon. The little mason jar above contained homemade red hot candy and was a Christmas gift from one of my homeschool co-op kids. 


The pretty little bowl came from the clearance aisle at Hobby Lobby and was .79 cents. It holds my adhesive, lotion, and other daily necessities.


I even tried to decorate with some of my past paper craft projects. This dainty paper flower garland was one we did at a Miss Manner party years ago. Here's a link to it. 


This was a Paper Pumpkin project I did last year.


Here's the right side.


Pens and more embellishments are stored here. You can also see the little under cabinet lights I installed here. I found these at Costco on sale. There were six in a package for about $15. My closet doesn't have electricity, so I have to rely on these extra lights along with the overhead light in the hallway. 


I used a 40% off coupon and got this pretty pen and pencil holder for about $5 at Hobby Lobby.


This magazine holder was on clearance at Hobby Lobby for about $5 as well.


Another .50 canister holds all my washi tapes.


This was a little of a splurge, but I love it! Here is where I keep a lot of little buttons, brads, etc. to use as embellishments. I spent $20 for the magnetic board which already had screw holes in it to mount to the wall. The little magnetic canisters came from Dollar Tree. They are two for a $1, so I have $28 invested in the whole wall project. It keeps things at hand, but out of the way. Love it! 


I got this basket half off at Hobby Lobby. It's perfect for holding my stamp sets. 


These little distressed green boxes came from the Hobby Lobby clearance aisle for about $4 each. This one holds my embossing folders.


The brown box above on the left came from Michael's and was on clearance for $5. It and the white box hold loose wood mount stamps.


This little wire basket was already in my collection. I use it to hold my metal die collection. Several sites sell these magnetic cards to hold the dies, but they are ridiculously expensive! I ordered 5x7 cardboard cards and 5x7 magnetic pieces and made my own for a fraction of the cost.


I already had these brown baskets under my TV holding DVDs and old VHS tapes. Yep - it was the perfect time to clean that out and re-purpose these great baskets! They're strong, and they hold my punches. This one mainly has whale tail punches with a few miscellaneous ones on top. 


This smaller one holds the box punches. These are much heavier, so luckily, they fit in the smaller box.


On the floor is a basket I already had. It is full of all of my Stampin' Up catalogs that I use for inspiration. I also stick my huge Scotch Advanced Tape Glider here. It's too big to go anywhere else!


 On the left bottom you will find my Sizzix Big Shot and all it's accessories.


Below that is half of my paper stash. I already had these boxes. The white mesh wire trash can came from Dollar Tree!


You can see it's a little dark underneath the desktop. I didn't add pot lights here because this is just a storage area. This stuff, like my Big Shot on the other side, has to be brought up to the desktop to use. This side holds all my paper trimmers and punch boards.



The rest of my paper stash is on the left bottom. I divide these by broad color schemes.


Faulkner was redoing it's computer lab last year and was getting rid of these chairs for $5 or $10 each - I can't remember. Anyway, they are in GREAT condition. My sweet husband bought two. It is perfect for this space and is very comfortable. The only negative is that the closet is about two inches too narrow to close with the chair inside, so I just leave it in the hall when I 'm not crafting. (The kids use it regularly to push the cats around the house, as it is a favorite napping spot for our two fur balls!)


There you have it! It ain't huge, but it's mine, and I love it! And did I mention I built it? The whole thing. BY MYSELF! I'll show you how soon. All said, I have less than $250 in supplies for the wood and storage containers. This pretty and organized space really lets me get creative!

I'm so glad you stopped by my neck of the woods!

Please take a moment to sign up to receive new posts by email.
I wouldn't want you to miss one crazy thing...

2 comments:

  1. Everything is near at hand, yet out of the way, giving you a great place of your own to paper craft! Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep! Now if I can only find a way to create more time!

      Delete

SITE DESIGNED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS