Wednesday, February 7, 2018

Mardi Gras Tablescape...Daddy's Birthday Dinner 2018


I describe my blog as decorating and entertaining on a budget. That's not just lip-service. I regularly shop Dollar Tree and thrift stores. This year, I have challenged myself to buy very little, if anything, to use for decorating. I'm sure I'll pick something up here or there when I see something, like a pretty set of dessert plates that just must come to live with me. Or I might need a little something to finish off a tablesetting. But I plan to shop at home before spending any money!


Luckily for me, this tablesetting cost me nothing. During our trip to New Orleans in January of last year, I knew I wanted to do a Mardi Gras-themed dinner party. And what better time than for my daddy's February birthday? I saw this book in several shops in NOLA, but couldn't bring myself to pay $50 for it. I came home and found it used on Amazon. $5 with shipping! Yes, thank you! The book is called "New Orleans: Elegance and Decadence" and is a coffee table book filled with art and architecture from the French Quarter and surrounding historic neighborhoods. That sounded like a perfect theme to me! 


I began with my white linen tablecloth.


This piece of fabric is not quite two yards, and I picked it up for less than $5 years ago. I think I intended to make pillows for Brack's room, but it just got stuck in the back of my fabric closet.


These simple black chargers have been in my collection for years. I can't remember if they were Walmart or Dollar Tree, but I know I didn't pay much for them.


I love these yellow plates! They're by Better Homes and Gardens. Walmart first sold them for about $6 a plate. I got eight at $1 each at my favorite thrift store. The details around the edge reminded me a little of a French design. Perfect.


The salad plates are "Heritage" by Pfaltzgraff, and I found these at a thrift store as well. They were .50 each, and I got more than a dozen. I like the way their shape reflects the yellow dinner plate.


The gold-trimmed flatware is "Abigail" by Wallace Silversmiths. I found it at Target nearly 20 years ago.


The vintage stems are "Woodland" by Fostoria. They are somewhat of a taupe color. They looked a little purple on the table, which is what I was going for. These were a gift from my Aunt Dale when we married and were what started me on my obsession with vintage stems.


I had bought several things back in late 2016 when Dollar Tree had their Mardi Gras display out. The simple mask came in a pack of eight, I think. Yes, eight for a dollar! 


The beads also came from Dollar Tree in 2016. They came in this set of three. I picked up about a dozen sets because I didn't know what I planned to do at the time, and I wanted plenty to fill a bowl or vase.


This is the matching champagne glass by Fostoria. It was perfect for our dessert.


These votive candle holders came from Dollar Tree a couple of years ago, although I've seen similar ones lately. The pattern reminded me of a fleur de lis. They're so pretty when they're lit. They are gold on the inside, and the flame just dances up the side. We all sat and just watched it after dinner!

I've used them several times before. Check them out in my Life's a Journey tablescape for a luncheon at Faulkner University and also on my Apples of Gold tablescape from Thanksgiving a couple of years ago.


I already had the black wooden set of fleur de lis. I draped them with actual beads from our New Orleans trip.


Inexpensive beads look extravagant against the crisp white cups. 


The black wood of the fleur de lis worked well with my black chargers, while the gold painted accents mirrored the gold beads and votives.


It was a festive and fun tablescape and a great jumping off spot for planning my menu. Check back soon to see what we had!

I'm so glad you stopped by my neck of the woods!

Please take a moment to sign up to receive new posts by email.

I wouldn't want you to miss one crazy thing...





6 comments:

  1. Loved hearing where you found all of your "pretty things"!
    Saundra

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your Mardi Gras Tablescape, it looks like a festive event at your house! Hope you are having a great day and thanks so much for sharing your awesome post with us at Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Helen! Just took a look at your delicious menus. Can't wait to try some of your recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations!
    Your post is featured on Full Plate Thursday this week and it has been pinned to our features board. Thanks so much for sharing with us and enjoy your new Red Plate!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Helen! I saw that when I scrolled through yesterday. I sure appreciate it!

      Delete

SITE DESIGNED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS